Botanical Name: Terminalia Arjuna
Common Name: Arjuna, Arjuna myrobalan, White Marudah, White Murdh
Sanskrit: Dhaval - because of its whitish or grey bark.
Hindi: Arjan, Arjun, Arjuna, Kahua, Kahu, Koha
Gujarati: Arjun-Sadada, Sadado
Marathi: Arjun Sadada, Sadura
Oriya: Arjun, Sahajo
Bengali: Arjun, Arjhan
Kannada: Maddi, Tora matti
Tamil: Marutham pattai, Vellamatta, Vellamatta Marutae
Telugu: Tellamaddi, Yerra maddi
Amandier Indien, Amandier Tropical, Arjan des Indes, Arjuna, Axjun Argun, Badamier, Badamier Géant, Baheda, Bahera, Bala Harade, Balera, Behada, Beleric Myrobalan, Belleric Myrobalan, Belliric Myrobalan, Bhibitaki, Bibhitak, Bibitaki, Carambole Marron, Chebulic Myrobalan, Hara, Harad, Harada, Haritaki, He Zi, Hirala, Indian Almond, Kalidruma, Karshaphala, Myrobalan, Myrobolan Bellirique, Myrobolan Chébule, Terminalia arjuna, Terminalia bellirica, Terminalia chebula, Terminalia chebulic, Tropical Almond, Vibhitaki.
Parts Used: Bark
Qualities : Light, dry
Taste : Astringent
Vipaka : Pungent
Virya or Active principle : Cooling
In Ayurveda Arjuna or Terminalia Arjuna is regarded as an important cardio tonic herb. Arjuna regarded as the sacred trees of India. In Ayurvedic formation it has been used since ancient times.
Terminalia Arjuna is used in the treatment of angina, coronary artery disease, heart failure and edema it is an important herb. In heart related illness it has effectively shown its worth. Arjuna contains the antioxidant properties similar to the Vitamin E so it helps in maintaining the cholesterol level at the normal rate.
Arjuna strengths the heart muscles also and maintains the heart functioning properly.
The usase and benefits of Arjuna or Terminalia Arjuna:
- Terminilia Arjuna contains prostaglandin enhancing and coronary threat modulating properties.
- Terminalia Arjuna promotes effective cardiac performance by regulating blood pressure and cholesterol levels properly.
- In cases of liver cirrhosis, Terminalia Arjuna possesses diuretic and a general tonic outcome.
- It reduces the effects of stress and nervousness on the heart.
- It relieves hypertension or High blood pressure also supports normal heart function, heart muscle energy, platelet function, and blood pressure levels and acts as a natural tune-up for the heart. Terminilia Arjuna also improves functioning of cardiac muscle.
- Arjuna's numerous therapeutic cardiac benefits are well known. It provides a significant cardiac protection in heart attack. Due to its excellent curing power it can be applied locally on burned area.
- It helps in clot formations so it has been used in wounds and injuries to prevent blood loss.
- It is seen that Terminilia Arjuna is very effective in tubercular cough by stopping blood in cough and healing the ruptured arteries in lungs.
- Terminalia Arjuna maintains normal urine flow and helps in suppressing painful micturation.
Terminalia Arjuna's bark in powder.
1/2 teaspoon one or twice daily mixed with honey or warm water after meals.